• > FLRI
  • > Support for Students Studying Abroad

Support for Students Studying Abroad

The Foreign Language Research Institute offers support to students who wish to study abroad and has established agreements with universities overseas to facilitate educational exchange. The Institute is entrusted with the responsibility of disbursing prefectural funds to students studying abroad. In the 2005-2006 academic year, 114 of the Universityfs 945 students received such funding. While the majority of students go overseas for the purpose of foreign language study, it is also possible for students to receive support for internships, field work, and volunteer activities overseas. Students can receive academic credit for their overseas experience, allowing them to progress toward graduation in 4 years. In principle, students studying abroad for a significant length of time are not required to pay GPWU tuition while they are away.

Students may freely choose a foreign institution or program to attend, which need not be a school specifically for English language learners. The University has exchange agreements with the following schools:

Student exchange agreements

Huron University (Canada)
Soochow University (China)
Korea University (Korea)
Central Washington University (USA)
Dalian University of Foreign Languages (China)
Oklahoma State University (USA)

Study abroad agreement
University of Hawai'i at Hilo (USA)

Friendship agreements

Hawai'i Pacific University (USA)
University of California, San Diego Extension Center (USA)
University of Hawai'i at Mänoa, Outreach College (USA)

Model courses

Model courses have also been arranged for the 2006-2007 academic year at the following schools:

University of Sydney (Australia)
University of Queensland (Australia)
University of Waterloo, Renison College (Canada)
Soochow University (China)
University of Auckland (New Zealand)
University of London (UK)
University of Edinburgh (UK)

University of California, San Diego (USA)

Terms of Study

Both long-term and short-term study abroad opportunities are available to students. Long-term study may last from 6 months to 1 year. Short terms of study are between 2 weeks and 6 months.

Study Abroad Funding

The amount of funding awarded to students is calculated based on studentsf tuition and travel expenses (e.g. airfare). Students on long-term study may be awarded up to 400,000 yen. Students on short-term study may be awarded up to 200,000 yen.